The application process is now CLOSED. Watch for a call for applications for a 2021 Scholarship in November 2020.
YVR Art Foundation offers Mid-career Artist Scholarships to British Columbia and Yukon Indigenous mid-career artists who are age 30 years or older and who reside in BC or the Yukon.
Scholarships are awarded on an annual basis to mid-career artists who create visual art that reflects BC or Yukon First Nations culture. Visual art can include drawing, painting, illustration, carving, printmaking, textiles, animation, photography and film. If you have questions regarding eligibility for the medium you work in, please contact YVR Art Foundation.
Up to three Mid-Career Artist Scholarships of $5,000 each will be awarded in 2020. Mid-Career Artist Scholarship recipients will be selected by a Jury comprised of curators and/or senior Indigenous artists.
All applicants will receive notification of the Mid-Career Artist Scholarship results by email by April 2020.
Who May Apply
To be eligible for a YVR Art Foundation Mid-Career Artist Scholarship, applicants must:
- Be of BC or Yukon First Nations ancestry*
- Reside in BC or Yukon
- Be age 30 or older in 2020 (born in 1990 or before)
- Create visual art that reflects BC or Yukon First Nations culture
- Have completed basic art training including but not limited to formal education in visual arts, worked with an artist mentor or a combination of similar experience
- Have achieved local and/or provincial recognition through public presentation of their artwork
- Be able to submit a portfolio of artwork that demonstrates the artist’s commitment to their practice
* Please contact the Program Coordinator if you have any questions regarding your eligibility. This can include your First Nations ancestry, any eligible mediums you work in and required project outcomes. The Program Coordinator can be contacted by email at firstname.lastname@example.org or by phone at 604.276.6261
Note: a Mid-Career Artist Scholarship will be awarded to an individual one time only.
Eligible Programs of Study
Artists can apply for a Mid-Career Artist Scholarship for one of the following three areas:
- To work/study with a master artist in a particular medium or to develop a particular skill under the guidance of a master artist
- To attend a school of art
- To create an art work or work on an art project that is significant to the artist’s community
- The proposed art work or project must demonstrate cultural significance to the artist’s community, such as an installation, participation in a community visual art project, or creating a work of special traditional or historical significance
It is important that the applicant considers and describes in their application how receiving this scholarship will specifically assist them in advancing their art career and provides them with the opportunity to work on something that they would otherwise not be able to do.
Scholarship Awards Event & Artwork at YVR
Mid-Career Artist Scholarship recipients are invited to attend the Foundation’s annual Scholarship Awards Event and have the option of exhibiting/displaying their completed artwork at the Vancouver International Airport (YVR) for the duration of one year following the completion of their scholarship year.
As a Mid-Career Artist Scholarship recipient, attending the Awards Event and exhibiting your artwork at YVR is optional. As such, YVR Art Foundation does not provide funding for the recipient to travel to attend the Scholarship Awards Event or to ship their work to YVR for exhibition/display.
Within a period of one year of receiving the scholarship, the recipient must either:
- Ship the artwork created during their scholarship year to the Vancouver International Airport (YVR) for a one-year exhibit/display; or
- Submit a detailed written report by in lieu of exhibiting/displaying their work at YVR.
Note: If applicants indicate on their application that they choose to exhibit/display their artwork at YVR, the completed work must fit within the YVR display case dimensions (43″ w × 29″ d × 66″ h) and be shipped or delivered to YVR by April 2021 to be included as part of the annual Scholarship Awards Event on Friday, May 28, 2021.
The recipient is responsible for any shipping and/or framing costs associated with the exhibition/display of their work at YVR.
How to Apply
There are two ways to apply:
1. Fill out your online application form here: ONLINE APPLICATION.
2. Download a pdf copy of the Application Guidelines and Application Forms, complete it and mail or deliver/courier it to the address listed on the application: See below for instructions on how to mail or deliver your application.
If you have any questions or inquiries about the Mid-Career Artist Scholarship Program eligibility criteria or the application process, please contact the YVR Art Foundation, by phone at 604.276.6261 or email email@example.com.
We also encourage you to review the FAQs page of our website.