The application process is now OPEN.
YVR Art Foundation offers Mid-Career Artist Scholarships to British Columbia and Yukon Indigenous artists who are age 30 years or older and who reside in BC or the Yukon.
Scholarships are awarded on an annual basis to mid-career artists who create visual art that reflects BC or Yukon First Nations culture and who wish to further their visual art career by extending their artwork into a new scale or area through working with a master artist or attending a school of art, or working on a visual art project that is of cultural significance to their community. Visual art can include (but is not limited to) drawing, painting, illustration, carving, sculpture, printmaking, textiles, animation, photography, video and film.
Mid-Career Artist Scholarship recipients will be selected by a Jury composed of senior Indigenous artists and/or curators. Up to three Mid-Career Artist Scholarships of $5,000 each will be awarded in 2022 and the scholarship recipient’s will have the option to display their work at the Vancouver International Airport in 2023.
All applicants will receive notification of the Mid-Career Artist Scholarship results by April 2022.
Who May Apply
To be eligible for a YVR Art Foundation Mid-Career Artist Scholarship, applicants must:
• Be of BC or Yukon First Nations ancestry
• Reside in BC or Yukon
• Be age 30 or older in 2022 (born in 1992 or before)
• Wish to further their visual art career by extending their artwork into a new scale or area through working with a master artist, attending a school of art or working on a visual art project that is of cultural significance to the artist’s community
• Have completed art training including but not limited to formal education in visual arts, worked with an artist mentor or a combination of similar experience
• Have achieved local and/or provincial recognition through public presentation of their artwork
• Be able to submit a portfolio of artwork that demonstrates the artist’s commitment to their practice
• Be able to submit confirmation/acceptance of an opportunity to work with a master artist, attend a school of art or propose to work on a project that is of cultural significance to the artist’s community
Note: A Mid-Career Artist Scholarship can be awarded to an individual one time only.
Eligible Programs of Study
Artists can apply for a Mid-Career Artist Scholarship to work with a master artist in a particular medium, attend a school of art or to create an artwork or work on an art project that is of cultural significance to the artist’s community.
Applicants for the Mid-Career Artist Scholarship award propose to create a specific artwork while working with a master artist, attending a school of art or working on a project that is of cultural significance to the artist’s community. Mid-Career Artist Scholarship award recipients have the option of displaying their final artwork at the Vancouver International Airport.
How to Apply
There are two ways to apply:
1. Apply Online:
Review the Application Guidelines and fill out your online Application Form.
2. Apply by Mail or Courier:
Download a pdf copy of the Application Guidelines and Application Forms, complete it and mail or deliver/courier it to the address listed on the application: See below for instructions on how to mail or deliver your application.
- Mid-Career Artist Scholarship Program Guidelines; and
- Mid-Career Artist Scholarship Program Application Form
Questions and Inquiries
If you have any questions or inquiries about the Mid-Career Artist Scholarship Program eligibility criteria or the application process, please contact the YVR Art Foundation, by phone at 604.276.6261 or email email@example.com.
We also encourage you to review the FAQs page of our website.