The application process is now OPEN for 2020 Emerging Artist Scholarship Program.
YVR Art Foundation offers Emerging Artist Scholarships to British Columbia and Yukon Indigenous artists who are between the ages of 17 and 29 years and who reside in BC or the Yukon.
Scholarships are awarded on an annual basis to emerging artists who create visual art that reflects BC or Yukon First Nations culture and who wish to develop their art practice through education or mentorships.
Up to eight Emerging Artist Scholarships of $5,000 each will be awarded in 2020. Emerging Artist Scholarship recipients will be selected by a Jury comprised of curators and/or senior Indigenous artists.
All applicants will receive notification of the Emerging Artist Scholarship results by email by April 2020.
Who May Apply
To be eligible for a YVR Art Foundation Emerging Artist Scholarship, applicants must:
- Be of BC or Yukon First Nations ancestry*
- Reside in BC or Yukon
- Be between the ages of 17 and 29 in 2020 (born between 1991 – 2003)
- Create visual art that reflects BC or Yukon First Nations culture
- Have the goal of becoming a professional artist
- Have been accepted to study with an artist mentor or at a recognized school of art
- Commit to attend the annual Scholarship Awards Event in Vancouver at the Vancouver International Airport (YVR) on Friday, May 29, 2020 in recognition of their award and attend one year later on Friday, May 28, 2021 in recognition of their completed artwork (travel and accommodation to attend the event is provided for recipients who do not reside within the metro Vancouver region)¬
- Commit to delivering their completed Scholarship artwork to Vancouver International Airport (YVR) by April 2021.
Note: an Emerging Artist Scholarship can be awarded to an individual a maximum of two times.
* If you have any questions about your First Nations eligibility, please contact the Program and Administrative Coordinator at firstname.lastname@example.org or by phone at 604.276.6261.
Eligible Programs of Study
Applicants can apply for an Emerging Artist Scholarship to work with an artist mentor in a specific medium or to support their attendance at a recognized school of art.
Scholarship Awards Event & Artists’ Day Tour
As part of the Emerging Artist Scholarship Program, 2020 Scholarship recipients attend the annual Scholarship Awards Event on Friday, May 29, 2020 and one year later on Friday, May 28, 2021. Travel and accommodation to attend the event is provided for recipients who do not reside within the metro Vancouver region.
New recipients of the Emerging Artist Scholarship (those who have not received an Emerging Artist Scholarship previously) are also required to attend the YVR Art Collection Tour. All recipients attend an Artists’ Day Tour of Vancouver museums and galleries following the Scholarship Awards Event. Further details will be provided to Scholarship recipients.
Scholarship Artwork at YVR
Following the announcement of their Emerging Artist Scholarship Award on May 29, 2020, the scholarship recipient must create an artwork for exhibit/display at YVR for the following year. This artwork will demonstrate the development of skills and techniques learned as a result of the Emerging Artist Scholarship and will be on view at YVR for one year.
The artwork must fit within the YVR display case dimensions (43″ w × 29″ d × 66″ h) and be delivered to YVR by April 2021.
The Scholarship recipient is responsible for any shipping and/or framing costs for the artwork that will be exhibited/displayed at YVR. After the one-year display, YVR will cover the shipping costs of returning the artwork to the Scholarship recipient.
How to Apply
There are two ways to apply:
1. Fill out your online application form here: ONLINE APPLICATION.
2. Download a pdf copy of the Application Guidelines and Application Forms, complete it and mail or deliver/courier it to the address listed on the application: See below for instructions on how to mail or deliver your application.
- Emerging Artist Scholarship Program Guidelines; and
- Emerging Artist Scholarship Program Application Form
Questions and inquiries:
If you have any questions or inquiries about the Emerging Artist Scholarship Program eligibility criteria or the application process, please contact the YVR Art Foundation, by phone at 604.276.6261 or email email@example.com.
We also encourage you to review the FAQs page of our website.