The application process is now OPEN.
YVR Art Foundation offers Emerging Artist Scholarships to British Columbia and Yukon Indigenous emerging artists who are between the ages of 17 and 29 years and who reside in BC or the Yukon.
Scholarships are awarded on an annual basis to emerging artists who create visual art that reflects BC or Yukon First Nations culture and who wish to develop their art practice through education or mentorships. Visual art can include (but is not limited to) drawing, painting, illustration, carving, printmaking, textiles, animation, photography, video and film. If you have questions regarding eligibility for the medium you work in, please contact the YVR Art Foundation Program Coordinator.
Up to seven Emerging Artist Scholarships of $5,000 each will be awarded in 2021. Emerging Artist Scholarship recipients will be selected by a Jury composed of senior Indigenous artists and/or curators.
All applicants will receive notification of the Emerging Artist Scholarship results by April 2021.
Who May Apply
To be eligible for a YVR Art Foundation Emerging Artist Scholarship, applicants must:
- Be of BC or Yukon First Nations ancestry*
- Reside in BC or Yukon
- Be between the ages of 17 and 29 in 2021 (born between 1992 – 2004)
- Create visual art that reflects BC or Yukon First Nations culture
- Have the goal of becoming a professional artist
- Have been accepted to study with an artist mentor or a school of art
Note: an Emerging Artist Scholarship can be awarded to an individual a maximum of two times.
Eligible Programs of Study
Applicants can apply for an Emerging Artist Scholarship to work with an artist mentor in a specific medium or to attend a school of art.
Applicants for the Emerging Artist Scholarship award must propose to create an artwork during their Scholarship year that is representative of the skills developed through the proposed mentorship or educational opportunity.
How to Apply
There are two ways to apply:
1. Review the Application Guidelines and fill out your online Application Form here: ONLINE APPLICATION.
2. Download a pdf copy of the Application Guidelines and Application Forms, complete it and mail or courier it to the address listed on the application: See below for instructions on how to mail or deliver your application.
- Emerging Artist Scholarship Program Guidelines; and
- Emerging Artist Scholarship Program Application Form
Questions and Inquiries
If you have any questions or inquiries about the Emerging Artist Scholarship Program eligibility criteria or the application process, please contact YVR Art Foundation, by phone at 604.276.6261 or email email@example.com.
We also encourage you to review the FAQs page of our website.