The application process is now CLOSED for 2019 Emerging Artist Scholarship Program. Sign up for our Newsletter to be notified when our 2020 Emerging Artist Scholarship Programs Call of Applications opens!
NEW for 2019: The Youth Scholarship Program has been renamed to the Emerging Artist Scholarship Program to include expanded age criteria. Review the Application Guidelines Document to confirm your eligibility before applying.
YVR Art Foundation offers Emerging Artist Scholarships to young British Columbia and Yukon Indigenous artists who are between the ages of 17 and 29 years and who reside in BC or the Yukon. Scholarships are awarded on an annual basis to emerging artists who create visual art that reflects BC or Yukon First Nations culture and who wish to develop their artistic potential.
Who May Apply
To be eligible for a YVR Art Foundation Emerging Artist Scholarship, applicants must:
- Be of BC or Yukon First Nations ancestry*
- Reside in BC or the Yukon
- Be between the ages of 17 and 29 (year of birth between 1990 and 2002)
- Create visual art that reflects BC or Yukon First Nations culture
- Have the goal of becoming a professional artist
- Have been accepted to study with an artist mentor or at a recognized school art
- Commit to attend the Scholarship Awards Event in Vancouver on May 31st, 2019 and the event in recognition of their completed art work, one year later, on May 29th, 2020 (travel and accommodation is provided as part of the scholarship). The scholarship recipient must deliver their completed art work to YVR by April 30th, 2020.
* If you have any questions about your First Nations eligibility, please contact the Program and Administrative Coordinator at email@example.com or by phone at 604.276.6261.
Eligible Programs of Study
Applicants can apply for an Emerging Artist Scholarship to work with an artist mentor in a specific medium or to support their attendance at a recognized school of art.
Within a period of one year, the scholarship recipient must create an art work for display at YVR (Vancouver International Airport) that demonstrates the development of skills and techniques learned as a result of the scholarship. The art work will be displayed at YVR for one year and must fit within the YVR display case dimensions (43″ w × 29″ d × 66″ h) and be delivered to YVR by April 30th, 2020.
- Up to eight Emerging Artist Scholarships of $5,000 each will be awarded in 2019
- Scholarship recipients will be selected by a Jury, which will be comprised of curators and/or Indigenous artists
- All applicants will receive notification of the 2019 Emerging Artist Scholarship results by April 2019
Note: an Emerging Artist Scholarship can be awarded to an individual a maximum of two times.