The application process is now CLOSED for 2016 Masterpiece Study Grants. Please check back in summer 2017 to apply for the 2017 Materpiece Study Grants.
"The Masterpiece Study at the Burke Museum in Seattle has been an absolutely inspiring and unforgettable experience. Studying masterpieces also taught me a lot about styles, techniques, and contemporary First Nations artists. This will help further inform my practice… and my own identity as a Northern Tutchone First Nations artist”. - Krystle Coughlin, 2015 Masterpiece Study Grant Recipient
To be eligible for a YVR Art Foundation Masterpiece Study Program grant, applicants must:
• Be a practicing artist, or small group of artists, of BC or Yukon First Nations ancestry
• Live in BC or the Yukon
• Wish to further their art practice through research and study of BC or Yukon First Nations art work currently held in the collection of one of the Foundation’s partner museums
• Submit an application outlining a proposed travel/study opportunity, including a budget, at one of the partner museums
• Be able to organize and book their own travel arrangements to the museum (transportation, accommodations etc.) from their home community
• Be able to set up a research/study visit with the proposed museum
• Be able to travel to the proposed museum for the research/study visit no earlier than January 2017 and no later than June 2017
• Agree to submit a written Study Report within one month of concluding their travel/study project
Note: applicants who have received YVR Art Foundation Scholarships e.g. the Youth Scholarship or the Mid-Career Scholarship are eligible to apply for a Masterpiece Program grant, however they may not apply in the same year in which they have received a Youth or Mid-Career scholarship award. Artists may receive a maximum of two Masterpiece Study Grants.
If you have any questions about your eligibility, please contact Cynthia McCreery at firstname.lastname@example.org or by phone at 604-276-6261.
Applicants are eligible to apply for a grant of up to $2,500 to cover the cost of travel, accommodation and meals for their travel/study opportunity.Masterpiece Study Program grants will be mailed to recipients by December 2016. For grants under $1,500, 50% of the monies will be issued upon confirmation of the collections visit from the museum and 50% when the Study Report is received. For grants $1,500 and over, 50% of the monies will be issued upon confirmation of the collections visit from the museum, 25% at the conclusion of the collections visit and 25% when the Study Report is received. The Study Report will include photos of the recipient and objects from the museum visit, and copies of receipts for all project expenses, and is due within one month of the conclusion of the travel/study project
How to apply
There are two ways to apply:
- Fill out your application online. ONLINE APPLICATION.
- Download the Guidelines & Application Form PDF, complete it and mail it to the address listed on the application
If you have any questions please contact:
Applications must be received by 4:00pm on September 30, 2016. Applicants will be notified by December 2016.